Pepparkakor - Blogmas Day 20


Yesterday afternoon, between looking after baby Evelyn & a poorly George, I managed to bake some Pepparkaka hearts. My mamma made a big batch of dough a while back & a portion of it has been waiting in my fridge for a free hour, which doesn't come very often.

You can find lots of different recipes online for Pepparkakor (gingerbread dough) so I don't think I need to share ours but if you are going to make some my tips would be to leave the dough in the fridge for at least the night before baking & to roll it as thin as you can.

I decided to make all of our biccies heart shaped as it's a bit of a tradition & I find that they keep their shape really well. After cutting out, baking & cooling I transfered them to an airtight container where they'll stay (hopefully) until Christmas Eve. I kept some of the uglier offerings though & dipped in melted milk chocolate to have with some tea.

Other years I have decorated pepparkakor with icing or hung them on ribbon as edible decorations. Much like our gingerbread house it doesn't quite feel like Christmas until a batch of these has been baked. Christmas is all about the food for us & there's nothing quite as festive as a house smelling of festive spices.



What is Blogmas?

Search This Blog